Sponsor dollars are the life blood of your event. The monies raised from selling golf sponsorships are your profit. Selling individual golf slots will cover the expenses associated with your event but, filling your sponsorships will guarantee your tournament as a successful fundraiser.
The key to selling golf sponsorships is to understand how to market your golf event to prospective sponsors. As a tournament organizer you must understand why companies would contribute to your event and what they get in return.
Why companies would support your event:
- To get more business
- To gain more exposure
- To give back to the local community
- To entertain clients
- To meet prospective clients
- They have a relationship with the tournament organizer(s) – This is the #1 reason
How to sell golf sponsorships:
Selling golf sponsorships means more profit for your event. Create several sponsorship options for companies to buy and provide the marketing value for each sponsorship option. Following are several bullet points to guide you through the process of selling sponsorships. Planning a golf tournament? Contact our golf event coaches for FREE!
- Recruit a sponsor committee – Companies are more inclined to sponsor your event when asked by someone they have a previous relationship with.
- Create intriguing sponsorship opportunities – Companies have different needs; have plenty of opportunities for everyone.
- Develop a list of prospective sponsors – The sponsor committee needs to create a list of possible sponsors. Hold each committee member responsible to bring in a certain number of sponsors.
- Send out a mailing to possible sponsors – Promote your event by sending letters to prospects. Have the letters come from the contact person or your event Chairman. You can also take advantage of tournament software such as PerfectGolfEvent.com!
and send information via email.
- Make follow up calls – Always follow up your mailing with timely phone calls. Sponsors are more likely to respond to a phone call. Continue to follow up until you receive a definite ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answer when selling golf sponsorships.
- Use relationships to your advantage – Use your inside contacts at companies or form new relationships to gain access to the decision makers of larger companies.
- Explain the Marketing Value – Show your sponsors how they will benefit from supporting your event. For example, sponsor logos will be on all electronic communications.
Request Our Free E-Book
Our experienced Golf Event Coaches have assembled a quick guide to selling sponsorships to a fundraising golf event! Enter your email below to have it sent to you as a PDF.